Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

November 6, 2006

Aloha from........Washington????

We've been living up here for over 7 years now and I've never seen it rain this hard, for this long. It's a very wet, but very warm storm, known on the West Coast as "The Pineapple Express" because it's warm air coming directly from Hawaii which brings a ton of rain. It's about 60 degrees out and extremely humid....At least my hair is curly today!!

I'm hoping that I have no problems getting home on River Road, which is actually a levee along the Puyallup River that keeps the water from flooding the farms on the other side. I wonder if I can use my car seat as a personal floatation device?
Here's a Doppler radar picture from yesterday afternoon of the storms coming in from the South and North. I don't know why it shows a "rain shadow" on the coast and interior Olympic Mountains (below Forks) because it's been pouring down rain there as well.
I got the next few pictures from our local news websites. This one shows an accident near Shelton, which is pretty far from where I live. Mud and debris over the road are responsible for this one.
Here's a killer "rooster tail" taken on a local road in Pierce County, where I live. Earlier today, my boss, coworker and I were watching the drivers slam into the huge puddles in front of our building - we saw some great splashes!
Don't think anyone's going to be returning their rental cars at SeaTac International Airport today....

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, do I need to send you a lifeboat??

    I wouldn't want to be driving under those conditons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope ya got home safe... has it stopped raining yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me never to moan when we get rain!! Don't think we can match that somehow.Hope you got home OK

    Eliza xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete