Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

December 22, 2006

Happy Winter Solstice!

Sunrise today: 7:55 a.m.
Sunset today: 4:22 p.m.

Personally, I like the dark winter nights and I am not one who celebrates the return of the sun, which is the traditional celebration on Winter Solstice.

When we moved up here, I immediately noticed the much longer summer days and much shorter winter days. Washington State's latitude is closest to Ottawa, Canada (7:39 a.m. and 4:23 p.m.) or St. John's Newfoundland (7:45 a.m. and 4:11 p.m.).

Here are some other sunrise/sunset times on today's Winter Solstice:

San Francisco: 7:21 a.m. and 4:54 p.m.
Boston: 7:10 a.m. and 4:15 p.m.
NYC: 7:17 a.m. and 4:31 p.m.
London: 8:03 a.m. and 3:53 p.m.
Anchorage, Alaska: 10:14 a.m. and 3:41 p.m.

photo: coreyfordgallery.com

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Happy Yule!

    I had my annual Yule celebration yesterday. (Because traditionally, Yule is celebrated on Dec. 21.)

    What did I do?

    I skipped school, woot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Good for you! Getting senioritis a bit early, are we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Are you kidding? I had senioritis last year when I was in classes with all seniors.

    I tried to convince my Yule buddy, Justice, to skip with me, since there was no snow, and his original plan was to skip as well and go boarding, but alas, he was a doink and went to school. LAME. :D

    ReplyDelete