Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 9, 2007

Tagged by Val

Val posed 5 questions for me and some of the other Vixens to answer, so here goes:

1. What is your earliest memory.
Being in Yonkers NY and visiting the place where my grandfather was living, right before he died, two days before my 4th birthday in 1968. My mom went to Yonkers for 3 weeks that November but my dad stayed home on the Cape to work. I remember laying on the couch at my grandmother's apartment being babysat by my Aunt Lee, and crying because I missed my dad so much.

2. Tell us about your first love.

Well, I had a ton of crushes in junior high and high school, but the first guy I fell in love with was my high school boyfriend, Donnie Martel. He went to Barnstable High and I was at Sandwich High, but we were both really into punk rock and we hung out at the same record store in Hyannis, "Wave Records". I didn't know he liked me at all, till one day Liz & I ran into him and our other friends Chris & Randy, and Donnie gave me a Boomtown Rats button he'd bought for me in Boston b/c he knew how much I loved them. We started going out at the end of February, 1982 and we fell in love quickly. He asked me to marry him the night before I left for my school trip to London & Paris. However, that fall I went away to college in Maine and he stayed on the Cape to go to the local community college, and our relationship fell apart by February, 1983.

Then in a strange twist of fate, both Donnie and I transferred to Emerson College in Boston for the last 2 years of school and we graduated in the same class in 1986. I'd run into him on campus from time to time, but I was engaged to someone else by that point.



This would be Brian's cue to make a disparaging remark about Donnie's "lack of readiness".


3. What was your fave movie or TV show when you were young (under 12).


Hands down, favourite movie was, and in fact still is, "Paper Moon". I adored Tatum O'Neal as "Addie Pray". Loved "Wizard of Oz" and "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" too.



Fave TV show(s): "Lost in Space", "The Monkees", "The Partridge Family", "The Brady Bunch", "Little House on the Prairie" and "Bonanza".


4. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you bought?


My house. I'd pay off my mortgage first and foremost. Then I'd buy a vacation condo in Victoria.


5. Best piece of advice you've ever been given?


"You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jim." hahaha Just kidding.


I'm not really sure, but my fave quote from the musical movie "Scrooge" (starring Albert Finney) was said by the Ghost of Christmas Present and it's always stuck with me because it really is good advice:

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember, time is short, and suddenly you're not there anymore."

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, JoJo. I'm a bit gutted about the advice, though - I feel that bit closer to death!

    Did I ever tell you I used to live next door to a couple who were friends with Albert Finney and Diana (forgot her surname)? They used to come for dinner. Never saw them, just like to name-drop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Albert Finney!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yonkers!!!! the only thing that i know about yonkers is that the first half of "hello dolly" took place there. (i'm just a font of useless info)
    and albert finney actually gets better with age...although he sure was a cutie when he was younger.

    most of us were

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fenwayspal: Every time I hear a reference to Yonkers on LOCI I get all excited. How lame am I? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Well done! Like I told Eliza, I'm still pondering my answers ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. everytime I hear Yonkers on loci I laugh... I can't believe there's really a place with that name LOL

    Great post... gee I really should think about my answers, but my memory is sooooo bad!!!! Of course, I guess I could lie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a funny name, now that you mention it....it's just been part of my life forever so I never really gave the name another thought. I think it originates from the Dutch "Junkers", with the J pronounced as a Y. Junkers were something, I think, maybe traders?

    Any of my cousins that read this are welcome to weigh in on this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From my cousin:

    Hi Jo;


    Just read your blog- would have commented on the blog but it looked like too many steps, password, etc. and I'm too tired to do it right now.

    Anyway, you're right on with the origin of the word " Yonkers"

    The name is taken from the Dutch variant " Yonkheer " for the German word " Junker". A Junker is a minor nobility, probably similar to a baron.

    The area known as Yonkers was given, as a land grant, back when the Dutch controlled the NYC area to a Dutchman who was also given the title of " Jonkeer" as an honorific for landed gentry. He began to use just the title alone to sign documents so anytrhing connected with the land area became known as " Jonkheer's" . That of course morphed into " Yonkers".

    Or as someone once asked while I was on vacation and hometown's came up in conversation " What are Yonkers? "

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:11 PM

    julie...

    great trip down memory lane, JoJo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love it when you go all retro on me, Jojo! I must be the most time-misplaced person in the world! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete